Monday, August 30, 2010

Project Challenge

Last week, I had the chance to reconnect with my old art professor. He's amazing in so many ways and was both a mentor and friend. He's an accomplished artist and primarily works as a painter, printmaker, sculptor and ceramicist - in other words, he can do anything... I haven't seen him in at least four years so we had a lot of catching up to do. He shared with me a project he is doing called, '365 Drawings in 365 Days.' Now I have seen challenges like this before but I never really considered it. I mean, don't I have enough projects?

But as he explained that his goal is to create these drawings so that he can use them for a new body of work, a light bulb turned on. What if I take this challenge in fabric?! I could do '365 Squares in 365 Days.' Everyday I can make a small (really small) art square out of fabric pieces. At the end of a year I would have one hell of a quilt to make! More importantly, it forces me to be creative every single day. My mind is full of ideas but sometimes I get so overwhelmed that I do nothing - that just makes me miserable. I am hoping that this will help me focus the ideas. Plus, it is a lot less intimidating to look at a blank 5"x5" canvas vs. 5' x5'. I don't want to restrict myself to the form so the goal will be to create 365 'pieces' in whatever shape.

I think the 365 day challenge can work for any endeavor therefore I encourage all of you to consider your own challenge. You can even change it to 52 Weeks, 12 Month etc. This is about setting a realistic goal to help you in your creative pursuits. If you decide to do it, let me know - I'd love to follow your progress!

And so begins my 365 Pieces in 365 Days...

I got so excited that I already finished my first square. I intentionally made it rough as these are like mini-sketches. Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment