Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Weekend

Unfinished Quilt: 'Quilt me now, woman!'
I find myself enjoying some alone time this weekend. It's not often that my husband goes away so this is a real treat. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like having him around, I just enjoy quiet time by myself too.

I've spent the weekend... sewing. Can't help myself. It's become a real habit. At least it's healthier than smoking an whatnot. Notice I didn't say drinking. Not giving that up anytime soon (sorry, mom).

The quilt in that photo up there has been waiting patiently to be finished and quilted. Last night I finished the last bit of border and tonight I'm quilting it (just took a break to write this post). I LOVE to quilt and I have NO idea what I'm doing. I'm serious. I've read some stuff/ looked at some tutorials, but I'm pretty much using the 'wing it' method that I'm so fond of. So far, so good. But this method is very stressful which is why I tend to stare at my projects before actually doing anything.

Close-up of binding

On the learning front, I've finally learned how to bind correctly! YIPPEE!!! and I have the Mug Rug Madness Swap to thank for it. Seriously. I was getting so frustrated with how my binding was turning out that I forced myself to do it until it was correct. No easy task since I have the patience of a squirrel. But I did it!


Mug Rug Madness package I sent to my partner


I've mailed out all my swap items but I am still holding out on showing the other one because it's a surprise. I promise I will post photos as soon as I know she's received it. For the Mug Rug Madness Swap, I made a coffee cozy thingy. It didn't come out like I wanted it to. I tried to make the edges frayed but... yeah, not so good. I debated whether or not I should include it. I decided that I would use it in public so maybe my partner will enjoy it (I included a letter of apology, though - HaHa).


The other thing I did to enjoy this solitary weekend... I made my first quilt block all by me onesies (Favorite Jack Sparrow quote). This is the first time I haven't followed a tutorial as a starting point. I even MEASURED - I know, what is the world coming to?! I'm not kidding. I sketched and did some basic math and that's the result over there.




I will even prove it you. Check out that photo! All my ideas and finished block info. Now, I just have to figure out why the other two didn't come out the same...



One issue I had was that it was a bit too perfect. That irritates me. If one is perfect then they'd all have to be perfect. And let's be real, the odds of pure perfection are... (where's C-3PO when you need him?). The point: it's not going to happen so I made them a little crooked. However, it's only the border that's crooked, not the actual block - pretty sneaky, huh? If it turns out, I may even do a tutorial - imagine that. I will call it the Perfectionist's Quilt :)



Up Next:
More Swaps
#talknt
Contest

~Beth

"Who's more foolish: the Fool or the Fool that follows him?"

No comments:

Post a Comment