Friday, September 7, 2012

Go For It

Fairy Tree
I thought a photo was needed and I love this one
I've been at this sewing and blog thing for a couple years now. When I started, I thought I was giving myself something to do until I found a job. I had no idea it would actually become my job. But it has - at least on a part-time level. And I'm pretty excited about that!

It's been a long process, though. When I first considered opening a store online, it was going to be a collaborative effort with my good friend, Tricia (you may have seen her post on here). In fact, Wandering Threads was our lovechild. Then she went and had a baby (who is adorable!!). The nerve of her, right? But because she rocks, she was cool with me moving forward as Wandering Threads. So I decided to go for it and here I am.


The Next Step

One of the biggest obstacles for me was designing a logo. Drawing has never been my strength. I majored in fine arts, however, my concentration was ceramics. Even sketching was a challenge. Plus, my graphics program is kind of lame. With some encouragement (thanks to my husband) I decided to hire a graphic designer. And I was scared sh*tless!

Ceramic piece
circa: somewhere around 2004
First of all, I was clueless. I had no idea what I wanted. No idea how the process worked. No idea what to expect. No idea who to hire. Then I remembered Lisa of My Little Buffalo Designs. I knew I loved her designs and her style seemed like it would be a good fit so I emailed her a babbling email with lots of questions. And she was absolutely terrific! Talk about infinite patience...

Lisa walked me through the whole process and never made me feel like an idiot. She was very flexible and her designs were perfect. From just the few ideas I sent, she created exactly what I wanted! She was always friendly, yet, professional so I felt confident I was making the right choice(s).

She offers a variety of services to fit all budgets. You can choose one of her packages or work ala cart, which is great if you need to spread out your expenses over pay periods, sales, commissions etc. She also offers a full branding service which you can find in her Etsy shop. While you're there take a peak at some of her other items too. I love her 'We're Animals' custom art print!

Your Turn
Choosing to hire a professional was one of the best decisions I've made. I no longer feel like I'm just dabbling in the craft business. Instead, I feel focused and committed to making this a success.     

How about you? Have you been wanting to take the next step? If so, I encourage you to contact Lisa. And because she's awesome, she's offering a 10% discount to my readers. Just mention me when you contact her. 

Happy Crafting!

(Disclaimer: I think Lisa is awesome. The only thing I received for this 'endorsement' is warm fuzzies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment