I added basic squares for a border - I believe the first border's squares are 5"x5". Then I used the sheet for the strip in between. The smaller squares were a sort of an evolution of mistakes. I was going to just do another row of 5x5's but it looked too crowded and 'blah'. Then I tried to get fancy and complicated which didn't work out so well and resulted in the smaller squares for a final border. I'm happy with it but I think it needed a little something extra - next time.
The quilting process was a bit more involved than the one I made for Tricia. Then again, I also had a lot longer to complete this one.
I decided to do most of the stitching on the panel. I followed the lines of the trees, flowers, etc., adding additional texture. Once the panel was completed, I knew I wanted something very basic and simple to offset the main design. I remembered seeing a tip for sewing straight lines. I really have no idea where I found it or I would post a link. The 'trick' was to use masking tape as a guide. I debated direction, width and every other variable before I decided on the final design. I think the simplicity of the lines works well with the detailed panel. Part of me still wanted to add a criss-cross but I'm controlling myself so I don't overdue it!
Well, that's all I've got for 'Substance' - not too shabby, in my opinion.
Until next time... With you, may the force be!