Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spreading Some Owliday Cheer To You

With just a few days left to get your holiday crafting finished, I thought I'd share a fun tutorial. This would be a perfect gift for someone you'd like to remember this time a year. It would also make a cute present topper or stocking stuffer.



NOTE: I wrote this tutorial really fast so if you have questions, feel free to ask!



Scrappy Owlet Ornament Tutorial


Materials:

·         Several scraps of fabric for the body and wings (I used corduroy for the body and regular, cotton quilting fabric for the wings)
·         Small piece of white fabric for eyeballs*
·         Small piece of black fabric for pupils*
·         Hemp or another type of string to make hanger
·         Poly-Fil or other stuffing

Optional:
·         Small solid fabric with Wonder Under
·         Fabric pen or permanent marker

*Felt would work for the eyes too
__________________________________________________________________________

Directions:

1. Cut out your pattern pieces and trace them onto your fabric. Cut out your fabric pieces. Use whatever method suits you. I just trace and cut - no paper piecing or anything since this is supposed to be scrappy.


2. Sew on the wings using a zig-zag stitch. Trim any overhanging fabric- this makes it easier to sew it together.


3. Sew on the eyes.

4. Add the pupils and beak. I used Wonder Under for the beak and pupils since they are such small pieces and I did not stitch them.


Optional

I stitched a small piece of fabric to the back of each owl. Some options: Christmas 2011, Baby’s first Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Holidays etc. I wrote each message with a permanent marker.

The fabric I used was from a previous batch that I had already ironed on Wonder Under but I stitched it too.


5. Match the front and back pieces and sew around the left and right perimeters. DO NOT stitch the top or bottom at this time.


6. To the top, add your string for the hanger (whatever size you prefer) and stitch closed.


7. Stuff It! Add your filling and stitch closed. I only add enough to make it puffy not too solid.




8. Admire your adorable little scrappy owl


 Click here to print the tutorial or just the pattern sheet. If you have trouble contact me.
You should be able to print once you download the file but if you can't, email me and I will send it to you.

Happy Holidays!
~Beth

2 comments:

  1. Awww how cute, im going to have a go at this tomorrow as its getting late here in the UK! Thanks for sharing! X

    ReplyDelete